Banner
 

Bucyrus, Ohio

Bucyrus (On the highway since 1913) Population: 14,000 County Seat.

Bucyrus was founded in 1819 in part by Col. Kilbourne, who named the town by combining "beautiful" with the name of the Persian General "Cyrus". Located on the banks of the Sandusky River, Bucyrus flourished as the county seat with the railroads and later the Lincoln Highway. The Hopley Monument, one of the entire Highway's most significant, honors Bucyrian John Hopley, a founding Consul to the Lincoln Highway, it stands in front of the Bucyrus Country Club. Nearby is a stone pillar, made of stones left over from the Hopley Monument. A concrete Lincoln Highway post stands near its original location on the Square. The Songer Marker (a brick Lincoln Highway pillar) can be found on US 330 (Lincoln Highway east of town)at Stewart Cemetery.

Bucyrus is home to the Bratwurst Festival and celebrates its German heritage with beer gartens and oompah bands. Muralist Eric Grohe, Marysville, WA, has left his mark here, too with the "Great American Crossroads" mural on the square depicting local history, and a veterans mural, also in the downtown.

Two different paths of the Lincoln Highway enter town from the east.

  • One of the town's oldest industries, D. Picking Copper Kettle Manufacturers was re-born to continue business as the Bucyrus Copper Kettle Works in its original frame building and continues to manufacture hand-hammered copper kettles; the last in the US.
  • Cooper's Mill, apple butter and jelly manufacturer & world distributor. They also offer a country store where fresh pies, jellies and fruits can be bought, as well as many other gifts. 1414 N. Sandusky Ave., (419) 562-4215
  •  The famous Hopley Monument at the golf course on the east side of town was made with stones from several parts of the world to honor John E. Hopley, an early Lincoln Highway Consul. 
  • the Hopley Monument
  • Historic buildings from the Lincoln Highway days still exist; downtown just west of the Square you may spot  Skip's Garage, a leftover 30s style filling station.
  • Don't miss Carl's, a Lincoln Highway era replica Sinclair gas station with 50s memorabilia on Hopley Ave. 836 Hopley Ave. east side of town.
  •  Bucyrus offers three bratwurst manufacturers and other specialty shops downtown for interesting shopping.
  • Holiday Inn Express
  • Hideaway Country Inn
  • Camping nearby west of Oceola at Foxfire Campground.
  • Aumiller Park has a pool and play areas
  • Unger Park is a nature area and part of the Crawford Park District.
  • Miller's Drive-in, great food and retro carhop service, 1849 E. Mansfield St. (419) 562-8554
  •  Route 30 Barbecue at the golf course on the east side of town



Go to www.bucyrus.org or call 1-866-562-0720 for more information.

The Songer Marker above right.


"Great American Crossroads" by muralist Eric Grohe who also painted Massillon murals.


Skip's Garage

 

© 2016 Klingstedt Brothers Web Design